Latest Gaming News
PS5 Hides a Browser from You, but There’s Still a Way to Use It
Although the PS5 console is considered the Apex Predator by many in the gaming community, one thing that makes it seem inferior compared to PS4 is the removal of an embedded PS5 web browser. This was what gamers thought at first.
As it turns out, the PS5 does have a web browser, as was reported by Ars Technica a while back. Moreover, it was there from the very beginning. It is essentially a limited interface that can be used for surfing the web.
Accessing the PS5 Browser
So, the PS5 browser is accessible. However, you should note that you’ll be better off loading text-rich pages instead of pages packed with images and videos because they often display incorrectly. For example, you won’t be able to switch YouTube videos to full-screen mode. Perhaps, the biggest drawback is the fact that it doesn’t have an editable address bar as well as most other browsing features we’re so used to, which means you won’t actually be able to surf the web in the conventional sense.
Now, if you still want to access the PS5 browser, there are a few steps you need to take to do it. You can do it through several places in the console’s Settings menu: opening the online user manual in Settings > User’s Guide, Health & Safety or launching the guide through Other Information > User’s Guide. You will be directed to the manuals.playstation.net website. Interestingly enough, you’ll get an error notification if you try loading this site from your computer, but if you do it from your PS5 console, you’ll see instructions on using the user manual with the DualSense controller.
There’s a trick that will allow you to sort of surf the web via the PS5 browser. To do this, you will have to link your Twitter account to the device and then access websites through the Twitter feed. Here’s how you can do this:
- Bring up the menu by pressing and holding the PS button on the DualSense controller;
- Scroll down to the Settings icon and select it;
- Go to Users and Accounts > Link with Other Services;
- Find Twitter in the service list, select it, and press “Link account;”
- After being directed to the Twitter login page in the PS5 web browser, log in to your Twitter account.
Now you can open links directly from your Twitter feed. The web pages and media you’re going to access this way will open in the PS5 browser. So even though you won’t be able to change the URL, you will have some maneuverability around the web.
This may seem like too much hassle for accessing a very limited web browser. Luckily, there’s another way to access it.
An Alternative Way of Accessing the PS5 Browser
Some consider this alternative way of using the secret PS5 web browser the quickest and easiest one. You can even find numerous tutorials about it on YouTube, such as this one. Moreover, you may actually obtain greater opportunities and flexibility in terms of surfing the web, if you decide to use this method.
It has a bit more steps than the one described above, but if you want to be able to access the web from your PS5 console, this shouldn’t be an issue. This is what you will have to do:
- Press the PS button and go to GameBase;
- Choose a friend or your second account;
- Go to ‘Messages’ and select ‘View Message;’
- Type ‘www.google.com’ and send it to the other account;
- While on the messaging page, select ‘More’ on the right-hand side of the screen and press ‘Add to Favorites;’
- Return to the home screen, press the PS button, and go to GameBase – the favorite account will show on top of your recent parties;
- Select the account, go to ‘Messages,’ and select ‘View Message;’
- Press the ‘www.google.com’ link you sent in your last message;
- Enjoy using the browser.
You can access pretty much any site you want through Google search, even though you still can’t access the address bar and adjust the URL. You can also pin the browser to the side – to either side of the screen – and switch back to the game you’re playing. If you want to close the side tab, just press the PS button to exit and then select ‘Exit Pin to Side.’